Monday, July 09, 2007

KMSC 1700m

400s
200p
200k
100p
100k
100s
100k
8x50k
8xstarts

Total: ~1700 100min.

Today was it-last day! I brought Ferrero chocolates and left them on the sign-in desk with a little 'thank you' note for everyone. It was a pretty easy good-bye compared to others earlier in the day. I made plans with two of the women to go out drinking--finally!! There were a few requests for good-bye hugs and kisses by older men that I politely declined. The women commented on how thin I've become, not sure if they are making conversation or maybe the stress is starting to add up!

During the starts practice I finally got some help--they noticed my all time biggest problem. When I do a start I sit down, stand up and then jump. It's so slow and it's something I've always done. I just can't break the habit! But I think I figured it out. I am too flexible, so I don't start in a low enough seated position. I start with my legs too straight and not bent enough. I need to start with my knees more bent. And I don't look up, I just go. I have absolutely NO IDEA how I get from the block to the water. It's like a black out for that split second. I have no idea where my arms go or how my body enters the water. The masters swimmers say it looks 'beautiful' but I have no idea...I can't feel it!

3 comments:

Scott said...

Everybody has their idiosyncrasies but your start is a beaut! It sounds like you should be grateful gravity takes over or you might never get off that block (grin). I'm still fighting closing my eyes when they go underwater despite always having my goggles on. It stems from when I swam as a child without goggles so the chlorine burn was awful. Try as I might I haven't yet convinced my eyes they haven't anything to fear!

Joe said...

Sniff...when and where is your next masters swim practice going to be?

Kirsten said...

Scott...thanks! But I think I still have a lot of work to do! ha ha ha...not sure i keep my eyes open...i just blank out between the block and the first kick!

joe...NO idea!! I'll be in Birmingham, UK next Jan-April. I tried contacting the university club, but nobody responded! sniff sniff.