Thursday, February 16, 2006

Powa Yoga

When I first arrived in Japan, I went to a Friday night aerobics class at a company gym. There were only a handful of people there, all middle-aged women. The instructor invited to the Wednesday night yoga class, but I always had Japanese lessons. But now, my Wednesdays are free. So, last night Linea and I got on our yoga gear (in my case entirely too many layers) and headed out to the Nyuzen gym. We showed up early and it was already full!! There were young women and old and even a few men. It was one of the biggest community gatherings I've seen besides the festivals and marathons. I haven't done Power Yoga before, but I think I like it. It's a combo of aerobics and yoga. It gets the heart rate up, and I felt the burn, especially in my quads during the endless squats! It was also reminiscent of hot yoga...the heat was turned up!! So my additional layers to keep me warm in usually underheated buildings were completely unecessary! The crazy lady from the Friday night aerobics class was there. And a woman who helped me buy glasses when I first arrived was there. The teacher remembered me too. I guess it's hard to forget "the blonde." Except linea's blonde too, so really there are two blondes in the town. Major confusion could ensue!

I want to make Power Yoga a weekly ritual! It was awesome.

1 comment:

Linea said...

Once again, it was a slice Sista!

I'll be there to feel the burn too!

I loved it.