Tuesday, June 19, 2007

KMSC 2450m

300s/300p/300k/150s

200IM k
200IM p
200IM drill
6x100 IM
50ez
6x25 2nd 25 FAST, all others EZ

Total: 2450m 1hr. 20 min.

I was seriously debating going to practice tonight. But I checked my horoscope and it said I shouldn't cancel any plans because people are expecting me. So I went. Maybe it's a lame way to make a decision, but it got me to the pool. I told myself I would resist any attempts to ask me to 'coach' tonight. I was in a bad bad mood and didn't want to do anything but swim. After the warm-ups and everyone started gathering at the end of the lane...they started asking. I told them I wasn't feeling well and didn't want to tonight. That only lasted for a few minutes. They tried cajole a few other swimmers with no luck so they came back to me. Agh! I said again I wasn't in the mood and I had a bad day so therefore I'd be really strict tonight. Could they handle it? They didn't seem concerned.

So we started with the 200's. Not bad, but of course nobody could swim them without stopping because there are too many people and too many slow people in the lane. I was lucky if I could swim a full 25. Sometimes I ended up sculling just so I wasn't passing people. Nobody passes people here at swim practice!

Then I announced the 6x100 IM set. Everyone groaned and laughed and said 'impossible'. And apparently it was for almost everyone. Only two of us actually finished it. All the women gave up after the 1st one and decided they would do every other 100. And one guy disappeared to use the bathroom. And another guy just disappeared. I warned them. When the women weren't swimming they were standing at the end of the lane cheering us on. Ha ha ha. Nothing like swimming with your cheerleaders in the water with you.

Anyway, after everyone finished, we did a small little 25 set for the last five minutes. And I announced that if you completed the workout it was 1400m. I'm not sure anyone has swam that much before at practice, but of course only the new kid in his 20s finished it with me. But everyone was saying 'tanoshikata.' Whatever! I think they'll be glad to see me go next month!.

Nothing like taking out a bad day on a group of innocent middle-aged masters swimmers!

No comments: