Monday, April 24, 2006

1750m

Warm-up:
500s/400p/100k

Sets:
8x50 fly drill
100 fly drill
50 s

Cool Down
200s

Total: 1750 1hr. 15 min.

Tonight was Masters Practice. I'm still negotiating exactly how I fit in this group. And trying to figure out what the dynamics of the practice are. And they are trying to figure out how I fit in as well. When practice first started, they divided the two lanes 1)training lane 2)free swim. I heard people comment that I didn't need training because I was too good. And they told me to go in the free swim lane. But if I'm gonna be on a team and go to practice I don't want to swim alone. And that is how it got divided. Me in one lane with 2-3 men and 20+ swimmers in the other lane! Okay, that was stupid. So, I jumped in the "training lane" and joined their kick set. And within minutes, the other lane had joined the set as well. Which only confirmed my fear that they were trying to accomodate me. Anyway, after the other lane turned into a training lane as well, I jumped back over there...as it is the fast lane. But after a few sets, I got pushed to the front of the line. "Wakai" goes first apparently! I'm curious to see how lane dynamics develop. Each team and each lane group has it's own dynamics. Now I've been thrown into the mix....how will they react to me? and me to them?

Tonight we had a semi-practice. We did some drills, but not on time. It was just to practice technique. It was good practice and got my heart rate up. But I could have gotten in A LOT more meters if I was swimming alone. But as long as I get to the pool 2-3x a week for more long distance swims, Monday night practice will be good for stroke and technique work.

2 comments:

Joe said...

You go, Sista!

When I joined masters swimming in September, I discovered that I had to play along with the lane "politics" for the first couple of weeks until I people got to know me and I earned their confidence and respect. I found that people that had been there a while were somewhat reluctant to move down a lane to make room for you in a faster lane. Due to these politics, it took me a few months to move from lane 1 to lane 2 to lane 3 and finally to lane 4. Now I'm in the "right" lane.

Keep doing the drills! They're good for you!

So does "wakai" mean "you go first"?

Kirsten said...

thanks!!! unfortunatley we only have two lanes to play with. But there were over 30 people at practice! Ridiculous! I'm not sure this team does much more than sets of 50. But even then everyone stops at the 25. Not only are their lane politics....it's a different culture! And the Japanese are so polite, but they can be so OBLIVIOUS!!! They don't have that 6th sense and notice what is going on around them. Like someone coming into a turn. Or leaving the wall as you are approaching. I've been swimming here for almost two years and I still don't understand lane ettiquete. It's a mystery!

"wakai" means young! I'm one of the youngest swimmers on the team now!