Sunday, June 04, 2006

Unazuki by bike

Wow! It was a beautiful day with a beautiful bike! I love my new bike!


Today was my first ride without a big back-pack carrying either lots of books or clothes. It was amazing! Having a good bike and nothing on your back makes all the difference in the world. I thought I'd do about 20k, but after getting to the red bridge at the base of Unazuki, I decided to do the whole thing! I'm not sure what the difference in elevation is between Nyuzen and Unazuki, but it's a steady climb for about 16km. I braved a tunnel going up and riding on the side of a mountain looking at the river a few hundred feet below coming down. On that down slop my back brake decided to freeze up. That was a little scary. I think it needs adjusting.


Oh, and I like my new Polar Bottle. It does keep water cool for the duration of the ride. It doesn't heat up and taste like bathwater by the end. Well, it's still June. Maybe in August it will. But maybe in August, I won't be able to ride my bike at 3pm either! It was light out at 4:45 this morning...gonna have to start getting up early and biking!

I was able to maintain mid-upper 20km/hr. And I got a few bursts of up to 38km/hr! There are some great roads for riding along the Kurobe River! Which just makes me want to get an intertube or small raft and go down it. I think it's manageable. I think we should try it! Our next adventure!

Who wants to ride to Unazuki with me?? I want to go again!

Total: 35km 1hr. 45min.

5 comments:

Joe said...

> Who wants to ride to Unazuki with me??

Oh, pick me! Pick me! But you'll have to wait a few years for me to get to Japan.

Kirsten said...

It's gotta be in the next year!!! I don't think I'll be around much longer than that.....but I'll probably be in another exciting country!

Joe said...

> I'll probably be in another exciting country!

Alright! Canada here you come!

Kirsten said...

Maybe not that exciting! Although, here's to hoping!

John said...

how long does it take from Toyama to Unazuki by bike?